Darkest Fruit

Before moving to France 13 years ago I had always dreamed of having an orchard and indulging in a variety of homely pursuits like baking apple pies from my own apples and creating jams and conserves from my prizewinning strawberries and raspberries.  We now have the good fortune to have just such an orchard and although I’m ashamed to say I have never quite got down to the business of jam making (Mr H has had a go and at chutneys too) I have managed the odd tarte aux pommes and even a few clafoutis from our splendid cherry trees.

The most wonderful thing about it though is not so much the foods that we can create but the perspective it gives us of the changing seasons.  Every crop that arrives is something to be savoured and relished for the short time that it lasts and I am quite convinced that the fruit tastes richer because of this.  Despite the efforts of supermarkets to provide us with everything we apparently want at any time of the year, regardless of weather or season, I am convinced that we have lost too much of our connection with the cycles of life as a result and that we are much the poorer for it.

At the moment we are in my favourite cherry season and despite giving away pounds of them and eating more than our fill we still have far too much.  I thought I’d better take some photos before the season has gone and they’re really past their best.  I also thought this might make an interesting, if slightly oblique angle on the WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge ‘Off Season’……..

Black Fruit Cherries-7 Black Fruit Cherries-8 Black Fruit Cherries-10 Black Fruit Cherries-17

ALL PHOTOS © JANE MORLEY
If you enjoy the photos on my blog please do visit my brand new website http://www.theartcardpress.com where you will find many more photos, latest news, a host of greeting cards and photographic prints!

39 Comments Add yours

1. clafoutis …tarte aux pommes…sigh 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Ah oui, trop bon tous les deux non?!

2. kazg10 says:

Oh Jane what beautiful shots, your food portraits are just divine.. just the right amount of darkness around those cherries. I love cherries too. I used to live in Orange (NSW Australia) and they grew cherries there oddly enough. On school holidays we would always go out to the orchards to earn pocket money for Christmas. I have an affinity with cherries that goes way back and when I saw these they just reminded me of my past. Thanks so much. The one thing in France that I noticed more than anywhere else was that food is still bought at the local markets and shops more so than at the supermarche, its always been that way and always will, whereas here we have lost that tradition and the supermarket has our business. Luckily we are trying to turn it around.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thankyou Kaz! So glad you like these! I uses to do the same thing for pocket money but it was blackcurrants in England! Yes the French do still shop locally and at the markets but the big supermarkets are taking more and more of the business sadly 😦

3. Maverick ~ says:

Wonderful take on the theme and luscious photo.

Liked by 1 person

1. Many thanks indeed Maverick, much appreciated!

4. My French Heaven says:

I love the color tones and lighting in your photos. Cherries are so photogenic. I am baking clafoutis after clafoutis these days. My nephews love them… Have a lovely day J!

Liked by 1 person

1. Many thanks indeed Stéphane, delighted that you like them! I must get on with some clafoutis, after the rain these last couple of days I think the cherries will be splitting and ruined soon 😦

5. RobGott says:

Gorgeous pictures. Make me think of Black Forest Gateau 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Rob! Yes I know what you mean, I must get busy in the kitchen!

6. Supermarkets have much to feel guilty about and this is just something else. Great images and a good reminder that we should live closer to the seasons.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you northumbrianlight! Really pleased you like my post and the idea behind it 🙂

7. Why won’t my screen taste like your picture promises it will??
    Oh, Jane. Wow. Tempting, juicy, delectable. I want, I need, where or where is a tree when you are in a state of desperate desire?

Liked by 1 person

1. They are indisputably delicious Shelley! But, has to be said now nearing their end and getting more and more tart by the day 😦 !

8. Ian Hamlin says:

The loss of connectivity to the food of the seasons – and to the earth generally is whats really behind the whole climate change issue. In so many ways we seem to have lost touch.

Liked by 1 person

1. I agree with you completely Ian, it seems to me people have been sold the idea of living a lifestyle instead of a life!

9. Ellie-Dee says:

Ohh, cherries, my absolute favourite fruit. Your cherries look gorgeous Jane, and French cherries make the best cherry jam! 😀

Liked by 1 person

1. Thankyou Ellie! I have to say they are superb this year but already coming to the end of their season and in a bizarre way all the more delicious for that!

10. Grace says:

Your photography is just gorgeous Jane, I love the simplicity of your subjects and the richness of the colors. A great example for “Off Season”, a challenge I haven’t been able to meet this week! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much Grace, I really appreciate that! I’m a great believer in the beauty of simplicity! Hard to keep up with all the challenges, I find everyday life often has more than enough if its’ own!

11. alexraphael says:

I love cherries, especially when shot as good as this!

1. Thank you! They really were delicious – almost finished now 😦

12. Jane Lurie says:

I overdosed on cherries this season in San Francisco… so good. Your images are beautiful, Jane.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you from one Jane to another!

1. Jane Lurie says:

We Janes need to stick together. 😉

Liked by 1 person

13. Amazing pictures Jane! You can almost feel your love for the cherries out of the pictures. I can hardly imagine that you are not a good cook looking at those shots. 😉 You are absolutely right with your comment about us losing the sense for the seasons. Here in London everything is available year-round – I therefore try to make sure that the veggies I buy are in season and coming from England or not far away.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thankyou Françoise! I thought you’d agree about respecting the seasons being a chef! It really hit home to me the other day when I saw onions on sale in Auchan which came from Africa! Unbelievable!

Liked by 1 person

1. No way! I can totally imagine your reaction to that! In he past I would buy veggies and fruits and not think about their origin. Now, I am much more aware of that and actually make sure I am buying goods that come from close by or at least not too far. In Switzerland, where I come from, I am always surprised how much more closely they follow the seasons than here in England. You can get anything almost all year round!!!

Liked by 1 person

2. I do the same Françoise, in fact if something doesn’t come from France (or Spain à la limite), I won’t buy it any more because – only exception is for bananas for our morning smoothies !

3. Totally!!! With some things we don’t get around! 😉

14. wonderful! ..sooo beautiful!!! Brilliant photo! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Why thank you kindly Markus! Much appreciated!

15. Debbie says:

Simply gorgeous black cherries, Jane. I noticed that you are able to change the size of your font – how did you do this? I’ve been trying to find out how to change the size of font using this theme ( mines the same) and havent found out how to yet) Thanks, Debbie. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. I changed both fonts actually Debbie – if I remember correctly I think I just clicked customise and then searched available fonts until I found the one I was after – think that should work!

16. west517 says:

I’m finally catching up Jane 🙂 I hope you are well and had a wonderful Holiday! Gorgeous, scrumptious images— cherries are, by far, my favorites– beside mangoes. ❤

Liked by 1 person

1. Cheers west! I’m catching up too after a busy end to last year, just had Christmas Day off but it was nice to do nothing! Hope you’re well too and enjoying work and your new apartment – I’ll send you lots of good wishes for the year to come!

Please feel free to leave me a note!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s